KinaYume : Personal feelings and thoughts about the world~
Used to be japanese And Korean Music And JK Entertainment! But now have turned into My Personal Blog..
WARNING! THIS BLOG CONTAIN A TRIGGER OF DEPRESSION OR SUICIDAL!! 18+

Total Pageviews

♥JK♥ Popular Posts

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Break stigma in depression

“It was so awkward that I wanted to kill myself.”

“Yeah no totally. She’s psycho.”

“That party was so packed. I was gonna have a panic attack!”

“Can you just like… chill?”

These words are not not merely “just words” ― they echo in the minds of those fighting the weight of a mental illness. They seep into everyday conversations as if it were simply ordering a sandwich or our usual cup of joe. But we speak these words without recognizing the damaging effects to those who suffer from mental health issues.

But this subject has, sadly, always been stigmatized because it’s too personal and the fear that speaking it out loud makes it too real. But here’s the thing: it is real. And if we want to prevent - or at least help - those contemplating or attempting suicide then we must climb over the mountain of fear and change the words we speak.

Hearing you speak these phrases - even as a joke - isn’t a joke. For you, it’s a passive statement that means absolutely nothing. For us, you have no right. To us, though we know there’s no bad intention on your part, it’s frustrating that you can throw such jokes out so casually, and it can feel like it’s being thrown in our faces. We know that you may not know we have anxiety or depression or bipolar disorder, etc. But frankly, it’s just not your place to say such things when you have no idea what it truly feels like.

Do you truly know the pain of not being able to breathe, in the most random moments?

Do you truly know the complete desire to be happy while living with a darkness will not leave you?

Do you truly know the fear of voices that are so unreal but appear right in front of you?

So, real talk. You’re asking “will changing the words I say on a daily basis really help prevent suicide?” Maybe it won’t. But what if, just what if, it will?

If more and more of us can understand the different types of mental health illnesses, the various symptoms, and the way it truly affects sufferers then maybe, just maybe, we will know what to say and what to do when someone we love is on the verge of a decision, with effects that will ripple throughout our world.

We need to pay attention.
We need to open our eyes.
We need to listen.

The smallest change in behavior marks the biggest sign. No doubt, it’s sometimes hard to spot. Even amongst friends, we often forget that some of our behaviors and coping mechanisms are caused by our mental illness. Arguments arise. Blame begins.

These everyday phrases I’ve listed above have always functioned as an effortless way to describe our emotions in any given circumstance. But how do we if know we’re in the presence of someone in the middle of a depressive episode while declaring, “I’d rather kill myself than talk to my ex again.”
But the issue is that whether we’re aware of it or not, these colloquialisms can impact those around us who may be suffering.

So let’s end the everyday sayings that contribute to the already painful struggle to live a normal life.

Because trust me. We need each other. We live in a world that calls for independence because well, “If I succeed on my own, then I’ve proven I’m strong.”  I know I can’t overcome on my own. We can’t. Let’s not pretend. I plea with you to consider those around you - they may or may not be dealing with an exhausting mental illness. Be patient with us. Be there with us, for us.


To live may have one “I” but to truly become joyous, we’ll need us.

No comments:

Rock On